Re: Basin beast really a fish

M. J. Murphy (4mjmu@rogers.com) wrote:

<A story on the Horton Bluff trackways in Nova Scotia.  Once said to be the
tracks of a giant amphibian, they are now thought to be (by the guy quoted in
the article at least) fins pushing on sediment:>

  Spencer Lucas called it an "embarassingly bad blunder." One foot in the
sediment versus another is not a blunder, since at the time they had no
information on fins on sediment of such a size. Rather, the original thesis is
just as apt for its time and would be acceptible today. The sound bite from Dr.
Lucas (labelled as "Mr. Lucas" in the story) sounds like just that, a sound
bite. Rather, an embarassingly bad blunder would be Okamura's microhumans, or
the shattering of an *Argentinosaurus* vertebra by a less than contiencious Dr.
Bonaparte....

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden