[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

sea turtle terminology question

Not a dino question, but something I noticed in JVP...
do paleontologists use 'costal' and 'pleural'
differently than biologists when describing turtle
shells? Most refs I see (bio-) use the name 'pleurals'
for the transversely elongate carapace bones, and
'costals' to refer to the scutes that overlie these
bones. However, some refs (paleo only I think) use
'costals' in reference to the bones. Is there a
difference of usage between the sciences, or have I
just been in the lab too long today and gotten myself
confused over nothing?
Alan Coulson

Do you Yahoo!? 
Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search.