Re: Tarbosaur Alert

Dan Varner (Danvarner@aol.com) wrote:

<Michael Ryan has some terrific Mongolian shots at his  Paleoblog,
http://palaeoblog.blogspot.com/ including this tarbosaur skull under prep:>

  Not to take issue with tarbosaurs, and the skull is fantastic and reminds me
of the Fran skull, but some other photos also deserve a note or two:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/225/3516/1024/2b.jpg

  The second skull on the bottom left is the type skull for *Saurornithoides
junior*, whereas the skull on the bottom right is the type skull of
*Conchoraptor gracilis*. The top skull is unique. Michael Ryan took a better
photo of the Concho skull:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/225/3516/640/3a.jpg

  Much further down the page, we have this beauty in the Natural History Museum
of Ulaanbaatar:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1385/837/1600/avimimus.jpg

  Note the complete ilia, radii, and "caudals". First, the "caudals" are
dorsals and are reversed in order, with the adjutant cervicals on the other end
of the body. The radius is really thin. There's a scapula with a mononykid-like
distal end. The ilium appears to be reversed, so it's in it's natural
orientation regading the dorsals, with a pendant anterior process of the
anterior blade. The pubis is not attached and straight along it's shaft rather
than curving anteriorly then ventrally as in the referred specimens. I think
this might be a chimaera, but who knows?!

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

http://mail.yahoo.com