RE: Padian et al. 1999 (Was: New PaleoBios paper - diplodocoid phylogenetic taxonomy)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Roberto Takata
>
> I don't think that that kind of unstableness is a bad thing after all.
> Maybe only linnean taxonomy could claim for stability.

The supposed stability of Linnean taxonomy exists only in general textbooks. If
you go to the working documents (the papers in
journals), taxonomy from the alpha level on up was in state of flux throughout
the 20th Century. Indeed, stable Linnean
classifications were probably as much a sign that people *weren't* working on a
group than otherwise.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117