Re: Padian et al. 1999 (Was: New PaleoBios paper - diplodocoid phylogenetic taxonomy)

2005/10/4, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>:
> If you go to the working documents (the papers in journals), taxonomy from
> the alpha
> level on up was in state of flux throughout the 20th Century.

But that was only because the taxonomists tried to not to push aside
evolutionary issues - well actually it was in the order of the day
since Darwin times.

I think that there is (?only) two ways to get an once-for-all stable
classification:

- Knowing the actual evolutionary history of every organism - out of
our reach by now
- Giving up evolutionary concernings - not in our mood

If taxomony would be kept in the scientific terrain, we must be
prepared for the twists and turns on the winding knowledge acquisition
road.

[]s,

Roberto Takata