Re: Stormbergia dangershoeki, new Early Jurassic ornithischian from South Africa

Dear Tom and List,

    Just a FYI. Richard Butler was here in Price doing research on
ornithischians and what not. We had the pleasure of him staying with us over
night before he headed back to roast his white english ass off at the
Chrystal Geyser Falcarious site for the rest of the summer in 110 degree
heat. This was back in 2003. My wife and I predicted great things from this
kid since meeting him .

Cliff

> Actually, we don't know that it is...
>
> One thing that I would REALLY like to see more researchers do is show
consensus trees (or subtrees) other than strict and majority rule. I haven't
had time to strip out the data and run it myself, so I don't know what the
precise details of the topology that was recovered. It might well be that
everything but Jeholosaurus is stable, but the latter is popping out as as
the sister taxon to each of the "hypsilophodonts", as the sister to
Iguanodontia, as the sister group to Marginocephalia, and as the sister to
Cerapoda as a whole. The strict consensus would indeed be the heptachotomy
shown.

> Still, this is one damned important paper, and part of a series of damned
important papers that will help sort out the mess of little bipedal
ornithischians. Honestly, the cladogram he found makes a heck of a lot of
sense.