Re: JVP 25(3)

I also forgot to mention another curious paper,

  Wang Y. & C. S. Rose. 2005. *Jeholotriton paradoxus* (Amphibia: Caudata) from
the Lower Cretaceous of southeastern Inner Mongolia, China. _Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology_ 25(3):523-532.

  This paper presents new material of the Daohugou, Ningcheng salamander,
*Jeholotriton paradoxus*, which is a neotenic form complete with traces of
(unossified) gills and the carbonized remains of the body outline and tail
structures. I would like to see if this also shows the imbricating collagen
surface and "feathers" of Liaoning localities, but I am sure anything is
possible given the right kind of perspective. The palate is extensive and the
maxilla tiny and underformed for it's size and skeletal development, with
extensive backward-oriented teeth in the jaws and large pterygoid structures
for the likely prokinetic skull articulations (my opinion on the kinesis).

  The impressions show that this salamander really is cute. The authors also
refer it to crown Urodela within Caudata, but no other clade is specified (or
"family") to contain it. In addition, the authors follow Wang and Zhou (2003)
in referring the Daohugou as essentially equivalent to the lower Yixian
Formation rather than as part of the Middle Jurassic Jiulongshan Formation as
Ren and Oswald (2002) do (based on insect biostrat).

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/