Re: Giant \"Ducks\"

On 10/11/05, Roberto Takata <rmtakata@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, which is the most updated review on the theropod-bird transition?
> (Specially regarding  to the temporal sequence of characters
> transitions.)

This is one of my (admittedly many) pet peeves. Does anyone speak
about the mammal-bat transition? The primate-human transition? The
animal-vertebrate transition? No, because bats *are* mammals, humans
*are* primates, and vertebrates *are* animals.

There is no "theropod-bird transition" because birds are *still*
theropods. Nor is there a "theropod-abelisaurid transition" or a
"theropod-tyrannosauroid transition" or a "theropod-sphenisciform
transition".

The term is a holdover from typological thinking, where the archetypal
theropod becomes the archetypal bird (through the archetypal "missing
[not really] link [maybe]", _Archaeopteryx_).

I know what is meant, but I think it's better termed "the bird stem lineage".
--
Mike Keesey
The Dinosauricon: http://dino.lm.com