Re: Madagascan Flying Raptor is INDEED a Madagascan Flying Raptor...

Another interesting thing about this paper is that Pete Makovicky et al believe
that Rahonavis represented a second evolution of flight. They don't even
mention Greg Paul's flying common ancestor theory. Instead, they believe that
it's relatively easy for this group to evolve long arms and develop flight.

Assuming the relationships hold up, this discovery spotlights some big
questions about the process of evolution, and how it's related to development.
Research on evolutionary development ("evo-devo") shows that many traits arise
from the effects of one gene regulating the activity of another. Thus one gene
may switch  on and off the gene which actually controls growth of the limb.

In any case, Buitreraptor is one odd-looking critter, which you can see on the
cover of this week's Nature. The magazine's web site also opens to show a photo
of a 'hobbit' skull with that of a modern human. I have a report in this week's
New Scientist, but I think it's only in the print edition or in the premium
second of the web site.

[clipped]>

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer