Re: Dr. Holtz' secret: Buitreraptor gonzalezorum

That's an artifact of a press release that implied Pangea split up  180 million
years ago. Taking that claim seriously would have predated Archaeopteryx by 30
million years, and thus pushed the split between dromeosaurs and Archaeopteryx
back to at least 180 million years ago. But that was a misconception in the
press release; the link between the northern and southern continents may not
have broken until 150 million years ago. As you note, flying dromeosaurs could
simply have flown over the water. Non-flying dromeosaurs might have island
hopped. -- Jeff Hecht