RE: Feduccia: the same old story...

I defend Scott's right to have his say as well. And he can be wrong too
:-)

Since this is turning into a serious discussion, then I have a few
import points to reiterate (I wrote most of this on the vertpaleo list
in 1999 to defend John Ruben of the intellectual censorship by the
Program Committee of SVP). For those of you who do not know, John Ruben
is in the Feduccia camp of non-dinosaur origin of bird. Regardless of
what you individual feel about Feduccia, Ruben, Martin, etc. they have
done vertebrate paleontology a great service by forcing the
theropod-origins of bird supporters to more closely examine the data.
The science behind the theropod-bird link is far better now than it was
5 years ago, which in turn was far better than a decade ago. Playing
devil's advocate is a good thing: it is a form of testing hypotheses and
that is the essence of science. It is also what separates science from
Creation "science".

As Scott has acknowledged, Feduccia's manuscript was peer reviewed. None
of us know who the reviewers were or what they wrote. However, I am
certain that the paper is better than the original manuscript. It is
fine that you disagree with Feduccia, but be very careful that you don't
become guilty of intellectual censorship. It is a fine line that is
easily crossed.

And now back to my usual flippancy.............

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Nature & Science