RE: Sneak Peak at Yale Torosaurus Sculpture

What it probably indicates, if I am interpreting your post correctly, is
that there was tightly adherent tissue in that part of the jaw (i.e.,
gingiva or related structures). Bizarre surface texturing seems to show up
wherever there is tightly adherent tissue--whether in the endocranial cavity
(due to the meninges), nasal cavity (due to nasal epithelium), or
superficial surfaces of cranial bone (due to tightly adherent skin).

Have you any refs for this vertical fluting? I took a glance at the
Majungasaurus jaw casts sitting around here, and wasn't able to see anything
remarkable. Of course, it could be quite variable, too. . .

Cool stuff!

Andy