Re: Malagasy Flying Raptor

In a message dated 10/13/05 7:50:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
andyfarke@hotmail.com writes:

<< To be a real nit-picker, "Malagasy" is the preferred adjective when
referring to things from Madagascar. I've often seen Madagascan in scientific
and
popular print, and even on the Malagasy embassy web page. True, "Malagasy" is
not the most intuitive adjective. . . >>

Preferred by whom? Not too surprisingly, the Malagasy people themselves! To
my mind, that's fine if the subject is their culture or the language, etc.
However, when we're talking about geology or paleontology or anything that
predates the arrival of Malayo-Polynesian settlers in the last two millennia,
surely
an adjective based on the name of the land mass is not out of line...

Chip
www.geocities.com/vorompatra/index.html