--

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:42:07 -0700
From: Matt Wedel <sauropod@berkeley.edu>

> Notable for the second paper discussed, which I think must rate as, by
> some distance, the most boring legitimate research ever published on
> any dinosaur specimen.

Yikes! Let's count the ways.

> Mulder, E.W.A., Jagt, J.WM and Schulp, A.S (2005).  Another record

Ah, so it's not even the first. How...exciting.

> ABSTRACT: "An incomplete

The plot thickens.

> tibia

Awesome.

> of an indeterminate

Yes!

> hadrosaurid

ROCK!

> is described, illustrated and compared with the type lot of
> _Orthomerus dolloi_ SEELEY, 1883

Wait, that sounds almost like worthwhile work. But then:

> [nomen dubium]

Rescued from meaning at the last moment.

> Although the specimen lacks geographic/stratigraphic details,

So not only is it incomplete and indeterminate and best compared to a
nomen dubium, it doesn't even have any provenience data. But wait!

> a small matrix sample taken from the medullar foramen has now
> yielded benthic foraminifera

Oh, yes, enter the microscopic invertebrates. Praise be!

> that corroborate its provenance from the Maastrichtian type area,

Thus securing its status as the _second_ indeterminate hadrosaur from
the type Maastricht.

Somebody better be making an hour-long documentary out of this,
complete with computer animations of what the tibia would have looked
like in life.

Thanks for that. I have a newfound respect for my own work.

--

Matt emphasises: "This started as an off-list joke between the two of
us. We're sending it out because we think it's funny, but we emphasize

:-)

)_v__/\  "Hoddle had stepped beyond the bounds of Blair's new, carefully
         focus-grouped and concensus-adjusted definition of freedom of
         speech, which is the freedom to say only those things which no
         one else could possibly object to" -- Giles Smith.