sauropod faces and ankylo tracks

Hi guys,
well. I'm in deep trouble.
I'm involved as sci director of the project "Parque
Cretacico" at Cal Orcko, Sucre, Bolivia.
They expect to have about 20 nat size dinos for end of
february. We will put there only dinos corresponding
to the interval Campanian-Maastrichtian on South
America, I mean that Giganoto, Amarga, and rebbs will
not be there. But we have a lot of titanosaurs,
nodosaurid, anquilosaurs, abelisaurs, notosuchians and
other crocs, snakes, and all the South American stuff.
Of course there will be unenlagines and noasaurids.

The problem is in the sauropod nostrils. After Witmer,
it is obvious a nostril as fore as we can within the
narial cavity, but...what about the telescoped
nostrils of several sauropods? We have three different
opinions in the three main paleoartists involved:

Jorge Gonzalez supports the opercular version, with a
lot of flesh bordering the nostrils at the top of the
head (as bones show) and tissues filling the deep
cavity that is pretty obvious in Amargasaurus in front
of the supraoccipital crest, in relation to the
muscles controlling the nostrils.
On the other side Jorge Blanco, more in concordance
with Witmer, puts the nostrils at mid way, about mid
distance between the bony evidence and the front of
the muzzle.
To kill any hope of concordance, Carlos Papolio, the
third paleoartist involved in the project says that in
any living terrestrial vertebrate, nostrils MUST be
right around the mouth aperture "cause he must know
what is eating". This way, Carlos extends the narial
openings thru cartilagues to the front of the muzzle,
right over the shoe-shaped premaxilla of the
titanosaur faces, and justifying the cartilagues
running over the dorsal side of the head to the front.

I have to decide among all these possibilities and I'm
not sure at all. All these paleoartists have a long
trajectory and enough experience and studies to be
ignored like that.
Please, someone should shade some light on this
subject!

One more thing, could someone (Ken?) send me a pdf of
the McCrea et al 2001 chapter in Armored dinosaurs and
some other info to reconstruct the light ankylosaurs
from Bolivia?

All the best. Sebastian.

Lic. Sebastian Apesteguia
Seccion Paleontologia de Vertebrados
Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales 'B. Rivadavia'
Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
www.paleoninjapesteguia.com.ar

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar