Re: Microraptor biplanes?

frank bliss wrote:

> Are the big stomachs a reflection of the buddist chinese influence or
> just a lot of fast food and fermenting berries?  I take it you are in
> the BAD column since you are doing BAD art.  Seriously though, would
> the bald stomach be useful in brooding eggs or should there be some
> down down there?  Short of an African Grey Parrot I used to have that
> would pluck himself bald, is there a modern analogue of the bald belly
> extant?

It just so happens that the October page of the calendar on my wall
shows a grey fantail from the Northern Territory here in Australia
feeding its tiny chicks. It has a very prominent bald, pink belly. I
believe many birds pluck their belly feathers out while brooding, to
line the nest with them and to allow more efficient heat transfer to
incubate the eggs.

Dann Pigdon