Re: Microraptor biplanes?

Interesting concept and good (fortuitous) observation). I have not personally observed any birds doing such and I have glanced through several bird guides looking for the characteristic. The suggestion toward self thermoregulation in the dromaeosaurs is obvious by this characteristic. Obviously the Luis Rey painting is just accurate conjecture combined wonderful insight and study into the issues. The jury is still out regarding thermoregulation (which I believe a naked belly for brooding would suggest). I am strongly in the BAD camp and believe that many dinos thermoregulated. Luis' illustrations are truly worth a thousand words. The biplane concept has legs to stand on (so to speak) too. There is no reason why properly designed and oriented feathers would interfere with locomotion on the ground. Macaws have huge long stiff downward pointed feathers on their tail but walk about fairly well (as it were). They don't back up very well however and tend to turn around to go in reverse. I suspect that the orientation of leg feathers on a biplane style would tend to originate on the back of the leg and bunch up (like a macaw tail when they walk) so as not to get in the way. The microraptor could unfurl them at a whim and use them to increase lift and enhance steering.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming
www.cattleranch.org