Re: Microraptor biplanes?

Frank Bliss wrote:

I have not personally observed any birds doing such<

Me either. Whoever reported that probably misinterpreted what they saw. Brooding patches are well documented as resulting from temporary morphological and physiological changes to a patch of abdominal skin located within the median ventral apteria. The changes in this area include loss of feathers and folding and hypervascularization of the epidermis (thus the bright pink appearance). If someone reported seeing what they thought was a bird plucking its belly feathers to facilitate incubating its eggs, my bet is that what they observed was a bird that was simply removing the feathers being shed during the development of the brooding patch.

PTN