From: Dr Phil Manning [mailto:palaeomedia@tiscali.co.uk]
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:57 PM
To: Ken Carpenter
Subject: Dinosaur claw comments

Hi Ken,

I feel that I have to answer Mr David Cravens questions posed regarding
the
experiments carried out on the dromaeosaur claw/limb set-up.

The test samples used were from a very freshly slaughtered pig. However,
the croc flesh was not fresh (famed in Australia and imported to the
UK).
Given the claw had been heavily over-engineered, in terms of strength
and
hardness, we felt it a fair test (given that live prey was not an
option).
The skin tested was neither rubbery or tough, it was still dripping with
blood! A little too fresh.

The limb was designed, as discussed in the paper, to mimic the range of
movement
expected of a dromaeosaur limb, with movement and articulation
constrained
by data retrieved from fossil specimens. I cannot understand how Dave
can
describe the motion of the claw, when he was not present at the time the
claw was tested? Whilst some segments of the experimetal runds were
shown
on TV, most were not? The kick and rotation of the claw on the
experimental
'runs' was delivered as a single fluid motion by the experimental
set-up.
This has already been relayed in person to Dave, so I am sorry that I
have
had to repeat myself.

The experimental rig is currently being further developed and tested,
the
findings of which will hopefully be published in Palaeontology in the
New
Year.

If folks have any futher questions, suggestions, comments on the work, I
am happy to field them at home (palaeomedia@tiscali.co.uk) or at work
(phil.manning@manchester.ac.uk).

Regards

Phil

****
Dr Phil Manning
Curator of Palaeontology, The Manchester Museum.
University of Manchester
Manchester, M13 9PL.
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 2660
Fax: +44 (0)161 275 2676
Work Email: phil.manning@manchester.ac.uk

9th Symposium on Mesozoic Terrestrial Ecosystems
http://homepage.mac.com/paulselden/MTE/

www.manchester.ac.uk
****
Dr Phil Manning