Alvarezsauridae (was RE: Me vs. Makovicky et al.- comparison and consensus)

From: Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Me vs. Makovicky et al.- comparison and consensus
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:37:43 -0500

Michael Mortimer wrote:

Plus, there are characters agreeing with my topology (e.g. coracoid bent at level of tubercle in Patagonykus, but not Alvarezsaurus or Mononykus), and Patagonykus lived earlier than Alvarezsaurus and is the largest alvarezsaurid, so some data make more sense that way.

I was going to jump in and say "But what about _Rapator_!!??". This is known from an alvarezsaurid-like phalanx, which is very large by alvarezsaurid standards. But then I remembered it's a bad idea to extrapolate body size from a single phalanx; _Rapator_ may have had proportionately larger forelimbs compared to its relatives.

Or maybe Rapator is the sister taxon of Alvarezsauridae, rather than an alvarezsaurid sensu stricto? I don't remember who defined Alvarezsauridae, but The Dinosauricon currently has it as the [Alvarezsaurus + Mononykus] node.

http://dino.lm.com/taxa/display.php?name=Alvarezsauridae