Re: Feduccia et al. (2005) Critique

Phil Bigelow (bigelowp@juno.com) wrote:

<Banded pigmentation is also occasionally found in the bird feathers from the
formation, so if the non-avian dino integument is collagen rather than keratin,
then Feduccia must come up with an explanation as to why color banding would
evolve in a tissue that is hidden from view on a live animal.  Or he must come
up with a taphonomic explanation that doesn't involve a lot of arm-waving.>

  Question:

  Is it pigmentation or variable preservation? Does the banding seen along the
wings preserve traces that can be determined as resulting from a pigment, or
from a concentration of carbonized material, and if it is pigment, does that
result in the remains of higher carbon that would cause the integument to be
"darker" in areas but not in others, resulting in bands? I see people assuming
the light-to-dark regions are pigmented without primary data regarding the
nature of pigmentation preservation. I understand that Cenozoic beetles
preserve their metallic chitin, and that Solnhofen dragonflies (among others)
have preserved banding and designs in the wings, so I am curious what
corrolaries can be found in pigments and if they are in fact present in the
dinosaurs?

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

Yahoo! Music Unlimited