Re: Centrosaurus brinkmani, new ceratopsian

Yeah Jordan's (may be?) right here. Officially it hasn't been published yet in
paper form
according to the journal's website, even though the pdf is availible to some.
But that may be
because the journal is slow to update it's site.
The Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences site carries a disclaimer:
''A new centrosaurine cera.....
This article contains taxonomic descriptions. Therefore, the link to it will
not be made available
until the print version has been distributed.
Michael J. Ryan and Anthony P. Russell
Pages 1369-1387''

It's October now, and this paper makes up the July issue, so i'm not really
sure what the official
date of publication is.
Anyway, for preliminary reading, i recommend checking out Eberth and Getty,
'Ceratopsian bonebeds:
occurence, origins and significance' (2005, in the DPP volume); the new species
of centrosaurine
was mentioned and briefly discussed in Eberth and Getty (2005 in the DPP
volume) as Bone Bed 138.

In the same CJES volume are other dinosaur related papers. Most have already
seen:
Anatomy of the Early Cretaceous bird Eoenantiornis buhleri (Aves:
Enantiornithes) from China.
Zhonghe Zhou, Luis M. Chiappe, and Fucheng Zhang
Pages 1331-1338

...but what about:
Unusual tetrapod teeth from the Upper Triassic Chinle Formation, Arizona, USA
This article contains taxonomic descriptions. Therefore, the link to it will
not be made available
until the print version has been distributed.
Randall B. Irmis and William G. Parker
Pages 1339-1345?

I take it that new taxa will be named in this paper due to the disclaimer
present.

http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/rp/rp2_tocs_e?cjes_cjes7-05_42

--- Jordan Mallon <jordan.mallon@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure this has been published yet.  The pdf is not
> available on the CJES website, and I know the journal itself has yet
> to be published.  Maybe we ought to hold off on this one until it's
> official.  (Michael Ryan wasn't even aware of its being circulated.)
>
> --
> Jordan Mallon
>
> BScH, Carleton University
> Vertebrate Palaeontology & Palaeoecology
>
> Paleoart website: http://www.geocities.com/paleoportfolio/
> http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Mallon
> MSN Messenger: j_mallon@hotmail.com
>
> On 10/17/05, Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Ryan, M.R. and Russell, A.P. (2005).  A new centrosaurine ceratopsid from
> > the Oldman
> > Formation of Alberta and its implications for centrosaurine taxonomy and
> > systematics.  Can. J. Earth Sci. 42: 1369?1387.
> >

> > Abstract: "_Centrosaurus brinkmani_ (sp. nov) is distinguished from
> > _Centrosaurus apertus_ by key features of its cranial ornamentation,
> > including the shape and orientation of the postorbital horn and parietal
> > ornamentation at parietal locus 3, the shape of the parietal ornamentation
> > at locus 2, and the possession of accessory parietal ossifications developed
> > as short spines on the caudal parietal ramus. This species is restricted to
> > the Oldman Formation of southern Alberta and is the oldest ceratopsid
> > represented by diagnostic material in Canada. Phylogenetic analysis of the
> > Centrosaurinae suggests that the development of spike-like ornamentation at
> > the parietal locus 3 parietal locus is inversely related to the development
> > of the P1 parietal ornamentation."

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/