Re: Feduccia et al. (2005) Critique

Daniel Selvidge wrote-

>This Psittacosaurus is pretty amazing.  A complete
>specimen with filaments preserved inside the ribs.
>Often preserved crossing one another, they do
>form herringbone patterns sometimes.  They claim some
>filaments appear beaded and curved, which occurs in
>degraded collagen.

Do we have to wait for their published work on the
creature or are there anymore references to it
available.  I haven't been following things recently
and I'm a bit out of the loop on the new discoveries.
Furthermore, the fibers are within the ribs? Couldn,t
that leave a lot of possibilities open.

Well, this IS technically published work on the specimen. No other references are available besides comments in a couple other BAND papers citing 'dino-fuzz' on Psittacosaurus, which everyone assumed was referring to the quilled specimen. I didn't mean to imply the filaments were inside the rib bones, but rather that they were between the ribs.

>Are these feathers?
>No, as we have the very well preserved quilled
>specimen that indicates
>psittacosaurs were fully scaled, including over the
>rib region.  Could this be a feathered juvenile of a
>scaled adult?  It is half the size of the
>quilled specimen (and doesn't preserve quills, though
>this could be taphonomic).  So I can't dismiss that
>possibility.

Wonder if it could be a sort of juvenile quilling, and
not just soft down?  Oh well, I have no idea.
Pictures would definitely help here.

The filaments don't look like the adult quills, so I'd say no. But who knows.

Mickey Mortimer