Re: Me vs. Makovicky et al.- comparison and consensus

2005/10/19, T. Michael Keesey <keesey@gmail.com>:
> Nothing can be closer to the six therizinosaur specifiers than to
> oviraptorosaurs if they themselves are oviraptorosaurs. Ergo, the
> definition yields an empty taxa (if any of the therizinosaur
> specifiers share more recent ancestry with _Oviraptor_ than with
> birds, at least).

I see. But we are at risk like that for almost any definition - unless
we use a particular specimen and not a collection of individuals, even
some species ended up being paraphyletic! Right, we could take more
risks with higher taxon as specifiers.

But... what risk? Ah! Risk of having to modify the definition... not a
so cumbersome problem.

[]s,

Roberto Takata