Re: fossil bird books

On 10/20/05, Chris Glen <s370548@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> 1) Feduccia, A., 1999 - 'The origin and evolution of birds'
> Probably one of the most comprehensive in number of fossil  bird species
> covered, it includes lots of the more 'modern' birds often ignored in other
> publications as they have little bearing on the origin birds, but do map
> out the diversity of this group through time. Best to regard this as being
> focused on fossil birds, and 'bird origins' only forming a part of the
> book. I think I've read this is how the author prefers to view it. HOWEVER,
> the author is controversial (see other entries under on this email list) in
> that he upholds the view that birds did not arise from dinosaurs, but some
> other earlier archosaur, and suggests it is would have been arboreal
> quadruped.
>
> __Where the 'bird's can't be dinosaur descendants idea came from':

The idea was still pretty common before this book, note reading the
various publications made by these individuals may be more useful than
reading Feduccia (1999). Note Hou et al. (1996) for one, the amount of
discussion generated on this list in response to it was fairly
impressive, quite honestly. :P

Nick Gardner