raptor red

--- Chris Glen <s370548@student.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> I know this is an old thread, and most people didn't
> like it but... for
> some reason i did get into that book. (I was young).
>
> One thing that no one else seems to have noticed is
> that Bob managed to
> sustain present tense from beginning to end of the
> book! Whether you like
> the story, the palaeobiology described, or Bob in
> general or not, I think
> that's something that deserves some credit. I don't
> think I could do that
> for longer than a paragraph, I dare you to have a
> go! Never heard of
> another book that does it (but admittedly, I'm not
> well read). I suppose he
> was after a sense of immediacy, and depicting the
> 'present tense world' in
> the mind of a wild animal. Anyone else noticed that,
> or know of another
> book that does it?
>
> I've often wondered if this strange way of writing
> was subconsciously
> instrumental in helping most readers decide they
> didn't like it (in
> conjunction with all those other reasons). I think
> at first I
> subconsciously recognised the style as being written
> like a young
> children's book - those one sentence a page books
> designed for kids
> learning to read often remain in present tense -
> before I consciously
> recognised what Bob was doing...
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I know of three comic books written in present tense.
Prehistoric Manifesto #2 and #4 and Dinosaur Comics
#1. Trilobite Comics.com for more info.

As for Raptor Red, though there is a fantastic and
well described attack on an Astrodon... Or other large
herbivore, I felt that the 'raptors' behavior was
merely transposed animal behavior. Not much
interesting in that.

Andrew Simpson