Re: fossil bird books

Thanks for to those who have commented on the books, especially Fedducia 1999. My intention was to put up a list of books (to answer ian's question) put them in an historical framework, and not delve into critiquing the content too much. I figured others out there more qualified could and would do that. As far as I know Feduccia is the only recent book like it that covers fossil birds in such a broad way (excluding conference proceedings), and directions to references that address its shortcomings are of course welcomed...

I included books whether 'right or wrong', so it was a relatively complete list. Even if a book is wrong it's a good idea to look at it to evaluate it yourself, and see where certain interpretations have originated, or at least see where they have been stated.

cheers,
chris

At 06:41 AM 21/10/2005, Nick Gardner wrote:
On 10/20/05, Roberto Takata <rmtakata@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Nick Gardner <nick.gardner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The idea was still pretty common before this book, note reading the
> > various publications made by these individuals may be more useful than
> > reading Feduccia (1999). Note Hou et al. (1996) for one, the amount of
> > discussion generated on this list in response to it was fairly
> > impressive, quite honestly. :P
>
> Do those books have _Gallus_ and other Galliformes fossils too?

Those are papers, not books. ;) I was referring to non-neornithine
paleornithology, Feduccia's comments on things like ichthyornithids
and others are not the best, and Mickey points out problems within
neornithines, check his post if you will.

Nick Gardner

Chris Glen
PhD candidate,
School of Biomedical Science
Anatomy and Developmental Biology Dept.,
University of Queensland
Q 4072, AUSTRALIA
Room: 418
Phone: (07) 3365 2720
Mob: 0408 986 301
Email: c.glen@.uq.edu.au
\
\
*
<`\
\_ \ / ,\
"" ""
~QQ>
~QQ>
One Late Mesozoic mammal to an other after a hard day of dodging
dinosaur feet and droppings, only to find their burrow trampled:
"Hey, a falling star, make a wish."