RE: raptor red

--- "Sticht, Aaron" <Aaron.Sticht@frontiercorp.com>
wrote:

> I think that is why many of us who love dinosaurs
> got a chill of excitement when we first saw the
> Brachiosaurus walking across the 30 foot high big
> screen when Jurassic Park first came out, or seeing
> the head of T-Rex rise above the fence.

I recommend "How to keep dinosaurs" by Richard Dawkins
(Foreword) and Robert Mash.

I especially liked a photo of house Oviraptor
"greeting" doorstep salesman. Very British in style
and humor, and perfect Christmas gift or dinosaur
fiction.

Jerzy

PS. Here is review from Amazon.
"highly entertaining satire based on the notion that
people keep dinosaurs as pets. The premise is
maintained with tongue in cheek from the foreword to
closing acknowledgments. In between are more than 50
care guides for various prehistoric reptiles. Starting
with easier pets such as "compies" (Compsognathus) and
recreational species ("Ornithomimus is a delight to
ride-as long you can avoid trotting"), readers learn
about the general qualities of each creature as well
as feeding, housing, breeding, and availability.
Subsequent chapters include flying pets, security
dinosaurs, and those suitable for zoos and safari
parks, as well as species kept for their eggs, meat,
hides, and feathers. DK-style page layouts include
inset photos of the dinosaurs, sometimes demonstrating
one of their talents, such as the trainable Troodon
making toast. Occasional full-page photos are
especially funny; one example shows a well-dressed man
walking his Nodosaurus with a large shovel prepared
for clean up. The physical descriptions relate
scientific fact, while the added funny bits often
expand on actual characteristics. Mash consistently
sticks to his deadpan voice so the frequent jokes stay
fresh and unpredictable. Completely new illustrations,
a reworked layout, and several new dinosaurs make this
is a successful update of the first edition (Viking,
1983; o.p.). Adults might be the most appropriate
audience here, given the sophisticated vocabulary and
occasional ribald humor. However, older dinosaur
aficionados with a taste for irreverence will love it,
and it has great potential for booktalking."

http://farechase.yahoo.com