Re: Archaeopteryx flight

At 07:41 PM 10/19/2005 -0500, JimC wrote:
I'd agree with Ian's assessment. It appears to be specialized for cruising flight -- which doesn't require the modern alignment for the supracoracoideus muscle, doesn't require exceptional power on the downstroke, and doesn't require a functional alula. As I mentioned previously, it is not designed for slow flight. So, it could probably fly reasonably well, but also probably launched and landed rather differently than many modern birds.

I'm not entirely sure about this. How does one differentiate between adaptations for cruising flight, and adaptations for gliding?

JimC

[snip]