Re: Archaeopteryx with bird book, was Re: Archaeopteryx flight

On 10/25/05, Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com> wrote:
[re: Archaeopteryx]
>  As a very primitive bird, we might not
> expect the head to be fully feathered (aside from the beak) as in modern
> birds.

But the _Sinornithosaurus_ specimen NGMC 91 ("Dave") suggests that the
primitive condition for eumaniraptors may have been *more* extensive
feathering over the head. The feathers of modern birds usually end at
the beak, but the ancestral eumaniraptors probably did not have beaks
(although I suppose that's somewhat controversial). The ancestral
avifiloplumans almost certainly lacked beaks, so there would have been
nothing to prevent feathery integument from going almost all the way
to the mouth.
--
Mike Keesey
The Dinosauricon: http://dino.lm.com