From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf Of
Tim Williams
Sent: 26 October 2005 20:08
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Claw function in Deinonychus

Andrew Simpson wrote:

>Excellent points Richard. My own take is rather simple. Why have the thing
>if it's so unnecessary? I
>don't think such a weapon would develop if it wasn't a very useful and
>necessary tool. And it remained on every dromaeosaur and Troodont for as
>long as they remain in the fossil record

Perhaps not *all* troodontids.  In _Borogovia_ this claw is straight, not
sickle-shaped, and it's hard to imagine how useful it could have been as a
predatory tool.  In _Tochisaurus_, the second metatarsal is reduced and very

slender, so the second toe may have lacked a "killer-claw".

AFAIK, the idea that the deinonychosaurian sickle-claw was used as an
eviscerating device goes back to John Ostrom and his studies on
_Deinonychus_.  (Sorry if this has been mentioned before - I came in late to

this discussion).

Finally, there is a contrarian view that the sickle-claw originally evolved
as a tree-climbing aid, and was later exapted into a predatory instrument.

John Hunt wrote:

>The programme also starred Ken and a robotic Ankylosaur tail that was used
>to break all the ribs of a pig carcase and send turkeys (standing in for
>Velociraptor) flying across the room.

Sounds like a fun thing to do at Thanksgiving - except if you happen to be
the poor turkey standing around waiting to be thagomized by a tail-club.
Just dragging the bird to the chopping block is probably more humane, and
much less messy.

Cheers

Tim