RE: Claw function in Deinonychus

Tim Williams wrote-

Note that in the largest-bodied taxa, the claw seems to be larger proportionately.

Hmmm.. are you sure? I seem to recall that the sickle-claw of _Achillobator_ was proportionately quite small - compared to _Deinonychus_ anyway.

Achillobator's ungual seems to be manual (Senter et al., 2004), as I had listed as a possibility back in 2000 (http://dml.cmnh.org/2000Oct/msg00476.html). Same with Unenlagia? paynemili's, by the way. Which makes Makovicky et al.'s claim it was nearly identical to Neuquenraptor's pedal ungual pretty laughable.

Mickey Mortimer