Re: Claws on deinonychosaurs

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Andrew Simpson wrote:
[...]
--Claw uses.

Killing. Specifically throats.

Killing by Gutting.

Grasping then using hands and teeth.

Display: Flashing it as a warning.

Rip up a dead dino that has no wounds.

Rip open wounds to slowly kill large preditors from
bleeding to death.

Rip open wounds, not to kill but to get a snack from a
living animal. Like a cookie cutter shark does to a
whale.

Rip open a wound so larger preditors, smelling the
blood, will come and kill for them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Any more to ad to the list?

I can't write anymore. My carpel is screaming.

I doubt grooming would be a use (altho in this case, maybe it would be scratchin).

If the claw is bigger on males, then it's perhaps sexual selection
at work.