RE: Claws on deinonychosaurs

Argh! Somebody please explain to me (not done in the original
description by Maxwell and Ostrom) how multiple predators/scavengers on
a carcass suddenly fall over dead! (and please don't say volcanic ash
because they aren't buried in ash, nor is there evidence for poison gas,
blah, blah). The specimens in question (Deinonychus and Tenontosaurus)
are mostly disarticulated so their association may be incidental). Some
facts, please, rather than unsubstantiated speculation (this is NOT a
criticism directed at Mickey, but my colleagues who make such
statements).

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences