Fwd: Eric Snively on sickle-claws

This is being forwarded for Eric Snively

Some predatory birds I work with give dramatic analogies similar to [G
Paul's] on cats, but maybe with a closer morphological parallel in terms of
claw
size and shape. We have
a resident great horned owl that once tried to jump from my arm to his perch
inside a plexiglass case. They're quite acrobatic; he usually makes it and was
unphased by the clear wall in his way, and so unfortunately biffed it against
the side of the case. I maintained hold of his jesses during the leap, and
reached over with my other hand to
lift his feet onto the gloved. Between this action and the owl getting his
balance we managed to slice my fingers open. This was from grazing the flesh
against the side of the claw, with the two of us applying incidental pressure.
(Once I got him onto his perch and cleaned up the wounds, the only remnant
damage was to our egos.)
    It seems that a dromaeosaur could slash down through flesh, with some
force and casually complex modulation on a sharp surface somewhere on the
keratinous sheath, even if they could also grip well with simpler flexion. Red
tailed
hawks with pointy claws can grip your finger between the ungual and
penultimate phalanx (quite a scary
feeling), and great horned owls and bald eagles can perforate tough leather
gloves AND slash despite having blunter claws with larger cross-sections.
Carefully controlled experiments may sometimes miss the blood and dirt of
reality
with motivated animals.