Re: Follow-up: the truth about killer dinosaurs

FlxLandry@aol.com wrote:

And what does he have to say about it? Does he have a publication in prep on
the subject, or something like that?

Sorry for sounding so tantalizing, but I wouldn't get excited. It is Olshsevsky's theory that feathers are primitive for the entire Archosauria, and that the caudal "quills" of _Psittacosaurus_ represent some transmogrified version of feathers. At least, that's my understanding of his theory. I don't actually endorse this theory, and there is precious little evidence to support it; and as far as I know, it isn't published (except for an article that appeared around 10 years ago in a now-defunct pop-sci/occult magazine). But I won't say too much, or be too critical, because George Olshevsky is unable to defend his interpretation on this list.

These quills look really strange
indeed, especially in the reconstruction on the cover of the new Dinosauria. Not a
really sexy display feature, but maybe psittacosaurs did not share my tastes,
although I had always firmly believed that they did. :-)

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Cheers

Tim