Chimp Fossils

In article <006901c5af42$ebf791e0$c33967d5@gericom>, David Marjanovic
wrote:
> "The final research paper in this collection fills a big gap in our
> knowledge: the first chimpanzee fossils ever found show that chimps and
> early humans inhabited the same environments in which they evolved and
> diverged. The fossils -- three teeth -- are from half-million-year-old
> sediments in Kenya that also yielded fossils of *Homo*."

       The reportage I've seen is that the chimp teeth were found in
semi-arid deposits to the East of the East African Rift, which in
particular blew a small hole in one of the proposals as to why we have an
appreciable fossil record for Homo, but very little for Pan and Gorilla :
previously people had suggested that the ancestors of Pan and Gorilla were
primarily inhabitants of a rainforest habitat, where wet, acidic soils
made a preservation-hostile environment for their cold dead bones. Finding
the chimp teeth in semi-arid sourced deposits leaves that thesis listing
somewhat. It also points to other possibilities for environments to hunt
chimp fossils in, which is good.

--
 Aidan Karley,
 Aberdeen, Scotland,