Bovids vs. Antilocaprids (resend)

Sorry if the list already got this, my connections
acting screwy and I can't tell if it was sent.

Not dinosaur related, but I still figured asking here
would be my best bet for getting an answer.

Copied and pasted from a message board:

Info from:
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/index.html

In relation to the family Bovidae:

"The bovids include such diverse forms as gazelles,
_African antelope_, buffalo, mountain goats, and
domesticated species such as cattle, sheep, and goats.

Bovid horns are made up of a permanent bony core
covered with a layer of keratin, _which is never
shed_.

The fossil history of the bovids begins in the early
Miocene. _The bovids that currently inhabit North
America probably reached the continent by dispersal
from northern Asia_ during the Pleistocene, when they
crossed the Bering Strait on a land bridge. The
climate was most likely chilly, which may be why North
American bovids are cold-adapted."

In relation to the family Antilocapridae:

"Their most distinctive feature is their horns, which
are like those of bovids in that they consist of a
keratinous sheath over a bony core, but differ because
the _keratinous sheath is shed periodically_

_and the orbits are large and placed far back on the
skull, behind the level of the last molar_. (A feature
that is also true for some of the more slender bovid
forms).

Now

www.Angellis.net has an extensive database for
different prehistoric species. And every animal that
is labeled as a "prongbuck" in the galleries (family
Antilocapridae) lives in North America. All other
similar forms are bovids. While doing searches for
other sites that explain the differences between
African Antelope and Pronghorns I came across quite a
few that explained that Antelope have never been found
in America. Now in contrasting the differences between
Bovidae and Antilocapridae the only really useful
charachteristic is the shedding of the keratin sheath
on the horns. Can paleontologists tell by looking at
fossils if the sheath was shed or not? If Bovids (the
family that Antelope belong to) traveled to north
America then why can't some of these prehistoric
"pronghorns" be antelope or even that Antilocaprids
themselves are really Bovids?

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs