Re: Cope/Marsh Movie (was Re: "Dinosaur Cowboy" movies)

Jane Davidson (Jdhexen@aol.com) wrote:

<I think if you are going to make a movie out of a work of fiction, well, it is
not the first time, but it might be more  interesting to make a movie out of
authentic biographies of Cope and Marsh, like my The Bone Sharp published in
1997 and yes they co-opted my title    WITHOUT MY PERMISSION and Michael
Jaffe's  The Guilded Dinosaur which came out in 2001.>

  Jane has an excellent suggestion for the source of such a film. The bios
would be important, and the Gilded Dinosaur is an excellent read (except that
Jaffe makes a few gaffes on taxonomy) that really puts into perspective the
world that Cope and Marsh dwelled in, and the kind of men they were (neither
was flawless, and neither was truly evil but, like Owen and Mantell, I tend to
think Marsh came rather close in trying to destroy Cope). The byline will have
recent ramifications, especially since both Marsh and Cope were involved in the
evolution debates at the turn of the century, the formation of the USGS, the
establishment of the Smithsonian's current museum stature, and so forth. As a
documentary, it would be too long, and as a love story it might be rather dry
given Marsh's long-time bachelorism and Cope's faithfulness but long term
separation from his dear wife. However, both saw native americans, and both
were involved in the controversy surrounding the Indian Wars. This would make
an interesting adventure.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden