Re: "Dinosaur Cowboy" film

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:32:11 -0400 (EDT) Danvarner@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 9/7/2005 5:56:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> ralexander56@sbcglobal.net writes:
> << Reply:  Allan....you've  succintly articulated my
> dilemma! (I've majored in film and have a fixation  for
> dinosaurs, so the Cope & Marsh saga screenplay
> emanated as a way  to meld the two.)  I'm currently in
> negotiations with a producer and  entertainment
> attorney to secure funding and attachment to the
> project.  >>
>
> Well, good luck to you. But I have to ask what kind  of "saga" here
> has
> cinema value. This topic came up on the DML back in 97, I  believe.
> I thought it
> best as a comedy, actually. Other than Cope's nightmares  from
> indigestible food
> and his magic trick of whipping out his dentures for the  Indians
> there's
> nothing. Just years and years of two men pissed-off at each  other.
> Or maybe
> those old-fashioned shots of newspaper headines spinning around  to
> a stop. Or
> maybe I'm just an old grouch... DV

"Seinfeld" was advertised as a "show about nothing"!  ;-)

Seriously, if written well, such seemingly pedestrian scenarios can be
made quite entertaining.  A dark comedy is indeed a possibility, although
I think it could also work as a drama.  If Quenton Tarrentino wrote the
screenplay (and then directed it), I'd bet it would work.  Particularly
if it also addressed the mistreatment of native Americans and some of the
other "unseemly" social issues of the time as a side issue.

Think "Dances With Wolves", but on crystal meth.

<pb>