Re: Bovids vs. Antilocaprids (new question)

--- "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/8/05, Rodlox R <rodlox@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so...where did the Bovids arise?
>
> The earliest bovid fossils, apart from isolated
> teeth, are _Eotragus_,
> known from the middle Miocene of Pakistan, and
> _Paleotragoceros_, from
> the Miocene of Asia, Europe, and possibly Africa.
>
> > and where did the Antilocaprids arise?  (North
> America?  or did they arise
> > elsewhere, but only undergo radiations in NA ?)
>
> The earliest one known is _Paracosoryx_, from the
> Miocene of North America.
>
> Incidentally, although I first learned this
> topology:
> ((Giraffidae, Cervidae), (Antilocapridae, Bovidae))
> ...I've heard that genetic studies suggest this
> instead:
> ((Antilocapridae, Cervidae), (Giraffidae, Bovidae))
>
> Either way, it appears to me that ruminants
> originated in Eurasia,
> with one group (antilocaprids) developing from an
> early immigrant to
> North America, and later North American immigrations
> of cervids
> (odocoileins, _Rangifer_, _Cervus elaphus_, _Alces
> alces_) and bovids
> (caprines, _Ovibos moschatus_, _Bos (Bison)_). (I
> could be missing
> stuff, of course--no paleomammalogist I.)
>
> This is getting a bit off-topic, perhaps, but I'd be
> interested in
> learning more.
>
> --Mike Keesey

While searching online (which I was literally JUST
doing) to see if my library (@ Michigan State) had any
papers on the subject there was one

Fernandez, M.H & Vrba, E.S., 2005: A complete
estimate of the phylogenetic relationships in
Ruminantia: a dated species-level supertree of the
extant ruminants. Biological Reviews: Vol. 80, pg.
269.

that came up that in the abstract grouped (Cervoidea
and Bovoidea), and (Giraffidae and Antilocapridae).
When I get the time I'll head over to the library.