Re: Meth Addicts Finding, Selling Artrifacts

It is better than them breaking into houses and murdering families like the guy in Idaho. Fossils are going to be location specific however. I know a few collectors (with college degrees) from back in my college days who are now crack addicts or worse. It says something about our society. Perhaps there is just a proportions of guys who like to get the kick of finding something, also happen to be meth addicted or even have a propensity toward substance abuse by archeological wannabes (maybe paleowannabes too.) Working stoned, looking for stones while stoned. There is a theme there somewhere. Meth (quite literally) is one of the worse things to hit the planet since the Cretaceous impactor. It is deeply troubling if these types start raising funds by selling fossils. The term context will become lost in the haze.
Frank Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming