Re: sauropods: homotherm,heterotherm or gigantotherm?

Well.  If a sauropod was endothermic, it could gather food much more
quickly than an ectothermic counterpart could.  More important, it
would have much more efficient digestion (recall that in general a ten
degree difference in temperature doubles the speed of all chemical
reactions).

(Though... keep in mind that this is about degrees Celsius.)

The biggest tortoises and lizards (e.g. _Geochelone_ and _Megalania_)
may have approached a tonne, but we have no evidence that the
significantly exceeded it.

Same for pareiasaurs. (Plus, those may have been amphibious.)

So this thing was averaging a tonne of
growth per year, or nearly 3 kg per day.

GAH!

That proves it. They must have broken the secret on how to evolve cellulase. I don't know how else to explain that kind of growth rate in the apparent absence of milk or any parental care for the young.

:-o