Re: Polytomies in cladistics: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:00:14 +0200 David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> writes:

> What do you mean by "bad choice of test parameters"? Things like
> maximum
> parsimony vs Bayes*?

Yeah, probably a bad choice of words on my part.  I was thinking of the
effect of user input options in PAUP, such like Bayes, Strict Consensus,
bad choice of outgroup taxa, poor choice of a root taxon, etc., etc., and
if these user choices are significant in "creating" polytomies (or
"destroying" them, depending on the option that the user selects).

Thanks for clearing up that question for me.

Mickey M. also mentioned that polytomies tend to show up in cladograms
where character data is sparse for certain groups, as you also noted.

<pb>