Fw: Pro(to)avis

Oops.  I forgot to cc this to the list.
Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "jrc" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: Pro(to)avis

selective pressure toward hindlimb wings in full-tail animals.

This makes a major assumption on the orientation and/or mobility of the "hindwings"... the fossils are squished flat, deforming (and often breaking) even the bones, so we should be very careful with that.

That's right, it does. If I remember correctly, sometime back I was quoted in Science (or Nature, I forget which) as saying something very similar. I still feel that way, but for the purposes of this thread, I felt that we were presuming that the hindwings were functional flight devices.

Jim