Re: sauropods: homotherm,heterotherm or gigantotherm?

Offtopic, but believed to be of some general list-specific interest...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 12:53 AM

<Please, everyone, refrain from using the Reply All button. I mean... it's
clearly the least of my current problems, but I got two copies of every mail in
that thread...>

There are several good reasons to reply to both the original sender and to
the participating list, by using the CC or BCC fields [...]

1. Due courtesy to send a copy to the person you are replying to.

Why??? That person is on the list, so they will get a copy anyway. Plus, I have always despised and detested politeness anyway. :-)

2. It allows the corresponder to reply before the list sees the message.

Usually I get both copies in the same second or in two successive seconds. This only changes when Yahoo! is overloaded (and the sender and/or the list uses Yahoo!), which is rare, or on the days when massive virus attacks slow the whole Internet down

 3. It allows a person to view the message even if it's not part of
correspondence, in that it may be of interest to them and they can see
whom else is receiving the message, in order to further correspond
should they choose.

Only makes sense if one (or more) of those is not a list member.

After all, part of the idea of a mailing list is that anyone can enter any particular discussion -- there is no "I haven't asked you". (If there were, the whole discussion would have been offlist in the first place.)

 [...] it may give them a chance to reply personally and then
publically to a person, and keep the two messages distinct.

So far I haven't seen any e-mail program or webmail page that doesn't allow several (successive) responses to a single e-mail to any number of different addressees. When I want to do that, I simply click "reply" once, write one reply, click "reply" again, and write the other reply.

This makes it more time consuming for me, but I do this as an act of
courtesy, not to inundate someone's email box.

You are misled in several ways about this "courtesy" thing. :-)

Sure, there are people who don't read the list and therefore won't see an e-mail if its header doesn't contain their address. It goes without saying that those people should be sent an extra copy of their own. But this is not the normal state of affairs.