Re: Third claw for climbing was Re Pro(to)avis

From: David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
To: DML <>
Subject: Re: Third claw for climbing was Re: Pro(to)avis
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:05:30 +0200

the leap is too short, there's no need to use any aerodynamics, as opposed to steering by means of the way the animal jumps off). Then it requires pretty large prey, because small prey is unlikely to stand still (within a sufficiently small area at least) for long enough that an incipient Pouncing Proavis would have any chance.

maybe the small prey wasn't used to that sort of a predator....did Protoavis live near areas that may've been former islands (that re-connected to the mainland) ?

It goes without saying that someone needs to quantify this. _If_ it comes out that the model requires, say, that something the size of a weasel must jump off from a height of 3 m to catch something the size of a pig, I'll consider the model disproven...

pigs can be little.

:)

I prefer separate explanations. Wings for brooding, then exapted for... who knows... WAIR or maybe even swimming or...

what's WAIR ? *curious*