Re: Cladistic definitions of Dinosauria, Saurischia, Sauropodomorpha

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html

Phil Bigelow (bigelowp@juno.com) wrote:

<The Draft Committee is comparing apples and oranges when they speak of both
Owen's 1842 name and the later cladistic definitions, and their opinion appears
somewhat petty.>

  Before we go too far with this idea of incomparable analogies, I would like
to direct readers' attention to this piece by Scott Sandford, later printed by
the _Washington Post_, on comparing apples and oranges:

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html

<"activist clade naming">

  Activist clade naming? Most activists tend to act _after the fact_ in order
to prevent further acts of the same mein from taking place. They should be
called "reactivists" rather than "proactivists" as this definition would have
afforded. Making legislation to prevent something from happening that hasn't
happened yet but might offend someone, for example, can be termed "activist
legislation," and so forth.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

http://mail.yahoo.com