Re: New Queensland Dinosaur Fossils (and a Victorian teaser)

David Marjanovic wrote:

> > In other news, the 2005 Flat Rocks site report has just made its way
> > into my eager hands. I've only had time to scan it briefly, however the
> > ?monotreme humerus found long ago at Dinosaur Cove in Victoria is
> > about to be formally named. More on this later...
>
> Is it certain that it isn't just another part of *Steropodon*? Is the size
> too unexpected for that?

Geographically the two fossils are about at least 1000 km apart, and
since the age of Steropodon isn't known with any degree of accuracy it
might be hard to demonstrate contemporaneity. Plus of course you'd be
comparing a single jaw to a single humerus, so there's remarkably little
overlap between the two fossils ('none' being 'remarkably little'). :)

Other than that, they could *possibly* be from the same sort of animal -
although I'm betting there was more than just one species of large-ish
monotreme in Australia during the Early Cretaceous.

Dann Pigdon