From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Tim Williams
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 4:05 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: FW: Thoughts on Eotyrannus

Darren Naish wrote:

>  Note that it's _Fusinasus_, not _Fusinasius_. Not exactly my
favourite
>name - I hope
>everyone agrees that _Eotyrannus_ is a tad better :)

Yes, I heard this name a long time ago, and I remember telling Darren
that
"Fusinasus" sounded like a genus of fungus, and that anything was an
improvement on that name (though perhaps not "Kittysaurus", which is
even
worse).

>A novel analysis found a more or less standard
>tyrannosauroid tree BUT with _Tanycolagreus_ as the most
>basal tyrannosauroid,

Hmmm... now, isn't there another named small-bodied tyrannosaur from the

Morrison, known from material that does not currently overlap that of
_Tanycolagreus_; and wasn't some material now referred to
_Tanycolagreus_
originally referred to this (other) tyrannosaur taxon...?  (Sorry for
the
circumspection, but I don't want to raise anyone's ire by suggesting
that
*maybe* two Morrison coelurosaur taxa might be synonymous.  ;-)  )

Cheers

Tim